Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day: Football, Football, and More Football (and some hockey)




As I sit here typing this, the Sugar Bowl is just kicking off, but I'm going to save my Tebow bashing for another post. Today featured three fantastic Big Ten Bowl Games including the Northwestern Wildcats, Penn State Nittany Lions, and of course TUOSU (according to Terrelle Pryor). Northwestern took Auburn to OT with a thrilling finish, Penn State pulled off a W against LSU, and Ohio State won relatively convincingly over Oregon in the Rose Bowl.

Outback Bowl: Pat Fitzgerald is a great coach. Clearly anyone as young as him must have done something right to be a D-1 coach at this point. But, what the heck was he thinking faking it on 4th down in OT? Kick the field goal. That is an extra point from that distance. The call made absolutely no sense to me and I'm not sure if anyone will agree with that call. Clearly they are going to need a new kicker in Evanston, but nonetheless, kick the field goal. Too bad they couldn't squeak out the W. Auburn - 38 Northwestern - 35

Capital One Bowl: Penn State played a close game with LSU and it was exciting until the finish. Penn State hit a field goal with 57 seconds left in the game to take the lead. After being down 16-3, LSU scored 14 unanswered points. It was a fairly entertaining game that tore apart the field in Orlando. PSU - 19 LSU - 17

Rose Bowl: After keeping Terrelle Pryor under wraps the majority of the first half, Ohio State let him loose and Pryor had an almost Vince Young vs Michigan 2005 Rose Bowl Coming Out Party. Pryor dominated the Oregon Defense for 266 yrds passing, two touchdowns, and ran for 72 more yards. Ohio State's win was the Big Ten's first win in the Rose Bowl since Wisconsin's 2000 win over Stanford. OSU - 26 Oregon - 17

Florida State also beat West Virginia today in the Gator Bowl in Bobby Bowden's last game coaching the Seminoles. A great coach went out with a solid upset and I obviously wish him all the best. Any coach that can lead a team to finish in the Top-5 in the country for 14 years in a row is a legend in my book.

Finally, there was a hockey game played at Fenway today. The Boston Bruins won in overtime over the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1. I will admit, I watched the first period, part of the third, and managed to flip back to it about 10 seconds before they scored the goal in OT. I salute the NHL for their efforts with the Winter Classic and I hope they continue. It is a nice alternative for those fans who don't have a bowl game to watch (cough...me and the majority of my friends and family...cough).

I hope everyone had a safe New Year's Eve and Day. Good luck keeping your New Year's Resolutions and hopefully I will be able to post in the next day or two breaking down Tim Tebow's crying at the end of the Sugar Bowl.

-Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment