Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Movies to See

Over break, just like millions of other people, I spent some major time sittin in a dark room, with sticky floors, watching movies. I will say this though, I watched some great movies. I'm gonna use today's post to just highlight why I thought they were good, and why you should go see them.

The first movie I saw over break was Sherlock Holmes. The movie starred Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes, Jude Law as Holmes' trusty sidekick Dr. Watson, and Rachel McAdams as the love interest Irene Adler. The story definitely put a new spin on the Sherlock Holmes story to me. It featured much more action than the old movies. The story itself is well written and if you are looking for a good action movie to see, I highly suggest Sherlock Holmes.



The second movie I saw was Avatar-3D. Now, I figured if it took James Cameron 12 years to come out with a new movie, it had to be decent. I also figured if it took $500 million to make it, it had to be decent. So, I went with my brothers to see it. I have to say, it was pretty decent. Now, the story itself, focusing around the life of the Na'vi and Earth's invasion of their land, is quite disappointing in my opinion. It wasn't a bad plot, there was just more to be desired. What I will say is that the overall cinematography was phenomenal. I have never seen a movie even close to how cool the 3D was. If you are going to watch Avatar, you need to watch it in 3D.



The third movie I saw was Pirate Radio: The Boat That Rocked, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, and Tom Sturridge. This movie was suprisingly good. In fact, I absolutely want to see it again. The story revolves around a group of rock 'n roll DJ's who play rock music in 1960s Great Britain. Rock was not allowed by the British government at the time on the radio and people were driven to DJing from large ships off-shore. The soundtrack was phenomenal, the story itself was very good, and I was impressed altogether with the movie. I really want to see it again in the near future.



The final movie I saw over break was The Blind Side, starring Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw. The movie tells the story of Michael Oher. Oher is an offensive lineman now for the Baltimore Ravens. Oher took a road less traveled to the pros though. The movie tells his story and the relationship between him and Tuohys, a local wealthy family. I do not want to tell too much about it, but I really really liked this movie as well. I left the movie with a smile on my face and just could not have enjoyed it any more.



Overall, all four movies were fantastic and I highly suggest seeing each of them. Pirate Radio was probaby my favorite, followed right behind by The Blind Side.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with both of opinions about sherlock holmes and avatar. Im intrested in seeing pirate radio and the blind side

    ReplyDelete