Saturday, January 2, 2010

Blackouts...The Only Reason I Don't Hate the Lions...Yet



I spent a small portion of today contemplating whether or not to attend the Lions Season Finale tomorrow down at Ford Field in Detroit. The Detroit Lions vs. The Chicago Bears. An old-school NFC Central match-up. But, as I looked online at ticket prices, I was quickly turned away. Do the Detroit Lions really expect me to pay $57 to watch a two-win team secure a Top-3 pick in April's NFL Draft? This is what honestly bugs me about the NFL. The Lions are not the Steelers, or the Cowboys, or the Patriots. They have no business charging fan's that much for a nosebleed seat. The Ford's need to take a look next door to how the Ilitch's deal with not only a struggling franchise, but one in a struggling economy and with a very high payroll (5th highest in the MLB in 2009). They need to make their tickets affordable for the few fans they still have. The NFL requires each team to sell-out their game 72-hours before kickoff before they can be broadcast locally. Although this is a generalized description of the rule, it still sums it up. Because of this rule, I have been able to watch a total of 9 Lions Regular Season Games so far this season, and tomorrow will not be the tenth. For the seventh out of eight possible times, the Detroit Lions will be blacked out in the Metro Detroit Area (which unfortunately includes Ann Arbor). I guess this is all for the better, and causes me to do other stuff with my day. But, I of course am still interested as to if we win or not. I'm sure if I had been watching them all year I'd be thoroughly sickened by now. Regardless, something needs to be done. If the Lions expect to gain back fan support, fans need to be able to watch the games. This is a problem that will continue to go in circles until either the Lions completely do a 180 degree turn around or the NFL changes the rules.

This is a late night post and will probably not be my only one for the next 24 hours. Hope everyone is having a great weekend and keep watching these bowls games. And for the last time until next season, GO LIONS!

-Kevin

Edit: I have been told that the Lions "sold out" the game and it will be aired on television. Funny how I could still buy tickets 10pm Jan 2. Regardless, I still think the entire situation is messed up and the Fords need to wake up and smell the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment