Thursday, February 4, 2010

Five Underrated Movies

So, as I sat watching Josie and the Pussycats last night, I decided there are definitely a large amount of movies that are completely underrated. Some are on tv more than others, but still don't get the respect that they deserve. And here, I plan on sharing my Top 5.

5. Spaceballs: One of Mel Brooks' hits, yet never really gets any love when it comes to Mel Brooks movies. The movie, released in 1987, is a parody of Star Wars and stars Mel Brooks as President Skroob and Yogurt, John Candy as Barf, Rick Moranis as Lord Dark Helmet, Bill Pullman as Captain Lone Starr, and Daphne Zuniga as Lone Starr's love interest Princess Vespa of Druidia. It is definitely my favorite Mel Brooks movie and unfortunately find it to rarely get any love. This scene is one of my favorites and is poking fun at Star Wars obviously.




4. Across the Universe: This movie, an American Musical released in 2007, is an original story, written and directed by Julie Taymor. It features all Beatles music and has many other references to Beatles songs throughout the movie. It stars Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, T.V. Carpio, Dana Fuchs, and Marin Luther McCoy. The movie also features cameos by Bono, Eddie Izzard, Joe Cocker, and Salma Hayek. The story spans the time of The Beatles as well. From their underground concerts in Liverpool to the famous Roof-Top Concert. The movie is one of my favorites and does a phenomenal job covering Beatles songs. I know it hasn't been out long but I also feel that it doesn't get the love that it deserves. Here are a couple of my favorite songs from the movie.





3. U-571: Great war movie. Released in 2000, U-571 is a fictional story of a German U-boat and an American crew trying to capture an Enigma cipher machine from the boat. The movie stars Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton, Harvey Keitel, and Jon Bon Jovi. I don't want to give it away, but as far as WWII movies go, it is extremely underrated.



2. The Replacements: As the professional football league goes on strike, the teams all find replacement players. This is their movie. The Washington Sentinels, coached by the famous Jimmy McGinty (Gene Hackman) are desperately needing to make the playoffs, and McGinty knows just which quarterback can lead them: Shane Falco (Keanu Reeves). The movie follows the team up until the last regular season game and is filled with funny moments, motivational moments, and just plain "sport movie shtick."



1. That Thing You Do!: If you know me, you know this is my favorite movie. So, I'm going to try to stay as impartial about this as possible. Released in 1996, and written and directed by Tom Hanks, That Thing You Do! is the story of a local band from Erie, PA that hits it big with their single "That Thing You Do". The movie stars Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler, Tom Everett Scott, Charlize Theron and Steve Zahn. The music is great, the story is fun, and no one ever knows about it or has seen it. It is extremely underrated and needs to get out there. Tom Hanks even named his production company after the name of the record label the band signs with (Playtone). It has Hanks' directing debut, and if you ask me he did one heck of a job.



Feel free to post your thoughts and comments. I am more than willing to discuss. In the next day or two I also plan on posting what I think are the 5 most overrated movies.

Stay Classy!

-Kevin

1 comment:

  1. I saw That Thing You Do coming from a mile away! The Replacements scene is one of my favs and Across the Universe was a good call.

    ReplyDelete