Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Detroit Tigers Projected Lineup


Baseball season is only...oh...two months away? Is it weird that I'm excited for this? As we get closer to the season though, there are still holes in the Tigers projected starting lineup, according to me. So, without further ado, I provide you with my projected starting lineup.

1. Ryan Raburn - LF
2. Wilkin Ramirez - CF
3. Magglio Ordonez - RF
4. Miguel Cabrera - 1B
5. Carlos Guillen - DH
6. Brandon Inge - 3B
7. Scott Sizemore - 2B
8. Gerald Laird - C
9. Adam Everett - SS

Now, this is actually the exact same projected lineup that the Detroit Free Press has, so obviously great minds thing alike (or something like that). But, there are still a few changes to make, in my opinion.

1. Sign Johnny Damon - Now, I wasn't too excited to hear that Johnny Damon "wanted" to sign with the Tigers either at first (see ). But, after thinking about it, we don't have a lead off hitter. Really, are we going to have Raburn lead off? I don't think so...I say sign him to a 2-year deal. That way if a Carlos Guillen or Magglio Ordonez were to leave after this season, we have him for next. I'm not necessarily thinking what he is asking for is kosher just yet. But sign him nonetheless. If he really wants to be Tiger like he says he does, they'll figure something out.

2. Let Wilkin Ramirez Play in the Minors - Last year Ramirez appeared in 15 games for the Tigers and batted .364 with 15 AB's. This isn't horrible, especially considering his 6 R's, 3 RBI's, and 1 HR. Definitely something to look forward to. But, give him time. I think we let him mature in Toledo for a little bit longer, and then call him up around July.

3. Let Alex Avila Play - Gerald Laird sucks. I don't care what anybody says about Brandon Inge and his batting woes. Gerald Laird is worse. If you dare try to convince me otherwise, you will lose. He batted .225 last year, tied for his 2nd lowest batting average of his career, only a measily .001 higher than his lowest. Yes, he played in 135 games, but that still doesn't excuse him. Alex Avila on the other hand, batted .279 in 29 games, with 17 hits, 5 being HR's, and 14 RBI's. At this point I vote starting them both with regularity. Just split time. Clearly Laird can't handle a full schedule, and Avila needs playing time.

This all being the case...here is MY projected starting lineup.

1. Johnny Damon - CF
2. Ryan Raburn - LF
3. Magglio Ordonez - RF
4. Miguel Cabrera - 1B
5. Carlos Guillen - DH
6. Alex Avila - C
7. Brandon Inge - 3B
8. Scott Sizemore - 2B
9. Adam Everett - SS

Johnny Damon in CF is questionable, but you can't realy put him in right field unless Magglio moves to left, which is highly unlikely. Anyway, this is all just my two cents. I hope everyone is looking forward to the MLB Season as I am.

4 comments:

  1. 1. don't hate on laird so hard, he's still a nice guy

    2. You thoughts on "if" magglio leaves upsets me. I'm not sure I can stand another loss of my tiger team.

    3. good post kevie. good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magglio needs to leave. The tigers need a young solid player to take his place once his contract runs up. With getting rid of Granderson and Polanco this is a great point for the Tigers to start a solid rebuilding. Bring in some young talent for Carlos and Miggy (not to mention much cheaper) and either find or develop a solid centerfielder and we might see some more consistancy instead of this world series one year last in the central next type trend. Great post though Kev. I think that right now the line-up you bring is about as good as we can do with what we have and with what Illich is willing to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give Maggs one more year, and if we see nothing out of him, I say let him go. And I do agree about avila. You know how this household feels about laird, so I will not comment anymore on him. It would be intresting to see if the Tigers pull in Johnny Damon. Whats your thoughts about pitching?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was planning on a post on the pitchers this week...you shall see then.

    ReplyDelete