Friday, February 5, 2010

Five Overrated Movies

Much like Thursday's post of five underrated movies, today's shall be five overrated movies, in my opinion.

5. Rudy/The Natural - I know a large reason I don't like Rudy is because it is about Notre Dame. So because of this, I'll throw in another sport movie that I really really don't like and I think is extremely overrated: The Natural. Rudy is about a walk-on football player for Notre Dame who barely even cuts it on the practice squad, but one day works his way up the ranks and is able to get in for a play or two. Personally, I think The Rookie did a better job of the story of the underdog. The Natural is the story of a baseball player throughout his playing days. It really does absolutely nothing for me and I don't see why people like it. Maybe because it has Robert Redford? I don't know. Neither the book nor the movie have ever impressed me one bit.





4. Pixar Movies of Late - Between Wall-E, Up, and Ratatouille, Pixar, in my opinion, has not lived up to some of its originals. The Toy Story Movies, Finding Nemo, Cars, Monsters Inc...all phenomenal movies. But the three I mentioned have not lived up to expectations. And don't get me wrong, definitely decent movies. But prior to seeing Up, it sounded like it was going to be one of the best movies I had ever seen. Same goes for Wall-E.



3. Signs - This movie is an overall disappointment. I'm about to ruin it, so SPOILER ALERT. Any alien movie where you don't see them until halfway through, and they look ridiculous, is lame. On top of everything, water hurts them? Just in general, it could have been a much better movie. M. Night Shyamalan is a great writer and director obviously. The Sixth Sense is a great movie. But, in my opinion, its a swing and a miss (no pun intended).



2. 300 - Unless you go to Michigan State or some other school that embraces Spartans, this movie overstayed its welcome in pop culture in my opinion. Definitely a good movie...the first time. By the 15th time, it had lost its luster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-6M5FukAoE (I couldn't embed the video).

1. Fight Club - I love this movie. I own it, and its awesome. The book is even better. But, Fight Club is not nearly as good as everyone makes it sound. Yes, it was one of Brad Pitt's breakout roles. Yes, Edward Norton is one heck of an actor. But, regardless, the movie is spoken of as one of the all-time greats. It is not and doesn't deserve to be spoken of so highly.



I'm always open to suggestions or comments, and of course debate. If you have any thoughts please share. I hope everyone is having a good weekend and GO BLUE Today! BEAT THE BADGERS...TWICE!

-Kevin

1 comment:

  1. never saw 300. and i love fight club so you better watch what you say

    ReplyDelete