Sunday, February 26, 2012

Athletes by the Number: 20-29

Next installmentt in 3...2...1...

20 - Barry Sanders:  While he was truly a hero to my sports region, Barry Sanders was one of the greatest of all time.  He kept the Detroit Lions relevant... sort of... Honorable mentions go out to Mickey Redmond and Mike Hart.

21 - Desmond Howard:  Again, this is a bit of a region thing, but seriously... who else do you think of when you think of the Heisman?  An honorable mention goes out to "Neon" Deion Sanders.

22 - Emmitt Smith:  Another one of the G.O.A.T.  Smith, along with Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin defined the Cowboys of the 90s.

23 - Michael JordanToo easy... even some of the greats have worn 23 in honor of him (LeBron James and David Beckham have both worn 23 in honor).

24 - Ken Griffey Jr.:  If you grew up in the 90s, and had any interest in sports, especially baseball, or I suppose watched any sports highlights, ever, you saw Junior on your television screen.  He is 24 to me.  Honorable mentions to Chris Chelios, Willie Mays, and Kobe Bryant.

25* - Barry Bonds:  While the man is more or less scum to us baseball loving folk, he is certainly who I think of when I think of 25.  A/an (dis)honorable mention goes to Mark McGwire.  I feel obligated to put an asterisk at this number.

26 - Jiri Hudler:  While he is one of my favorite current members of the Wings, he is the only one I can really think of.  I suppose an honorable mention could go to Rod Woodson?

27 - Juan Marichal:  I only remember Juan because of an old highlight tape I used to watch.  But, the "Dominican Dandy" was a premier pitcher of the 1960s and pops into my head as far as anyone wearing the 2-7.

28 - Marshall Faulk:  The workhorse member of the "Greatest Show on Turf", Faulk lead the resurgance of the St. Louis Rams along with Kurt Warner all the way to Super Bowl XXIV.

29 - Eric Dickerson: While playing in the NFL for 10 years and rushing for over 13,000 yards, Dickerson made rec-specs look good.  Dickerson, an All-American at Southern Methodist, in my mind, is as synonymous with 29 as he is with his rec-specs.

Now let the debating begin...

Look for 30-39 sometime tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment