Saturday, February 25, 2012

Athletes by the Number: 10-19

The second installment of my Athletes by the Number segment... time to deal with the teens...

10 - Tom Brady:  Much like Drew Henson being my number 7, I automatically tie the number 10 to Tom Brady due to his playing time at Michigan.  It is not a Tom Brady Lovefest due to his play in the NFL or his marriage to Gisele.  This is from his days in Ann Arbor and his Orange Bowl victory.  An honorable mention goes out to Charlie Batch.

11 - Louis Bullock:  I'm going to stop explaining my love for Michigan Wolverines while growing up and just say this... Louis Bullock was my favorite player.  The rest of my family cheered on Robbie Reid and I was all in for Louis Bullock.  Roy Williams while playing for the Lions would certainly be an honorable mention.

12 - Scott Dreisbach:  He is the first quarterback at Michigan that I can honestly remember watching and cheering on specifically.  His win over Virginia in the Pigskin Classic to open the 1995 season will live on in college football infamy.

13 - Alex Rodriguez:  While I would love to name off an athlete that I like, or one that has never cheated in his life, at this point, it is A-Rod as far as number 13.  I picture those pinstripes and his 1-3 on his back.

14 - Brian Griese:  Again, this is more or less a Michigan Quarterback lovefest for this section so far.  But Griese, as sad as this might be, defined my childhood.  Him, Charles Woodson, Tai Streets, Jon Jansen, and the rest of the 1997 Michigan Football Team brought back the National Championship to Ann Arbor and I was an impressionable 8 year old kid at the time.

15 - Pat Verbeek:  Now I admit, this one is weird.  And I don't exactly know why, but when I see the number 15, I instantly think Pat Verbeek.  Steve Breaston is a quick number two, but Verbeek, an NHL Journeyman, who had his cup of coffee with the Red Wings, wore the 1-5 and he is the first one that pops to mind.  Brandon Inge is also an honorable mention.

16 - Denard Robinson:  There have been many a number 16 over the years.  But, right now, the only number 16 that matters is Robinson.  I really feel weird in admitting this, but I've even told someone before that when I see the number 16 I instantly think of Denard.  It is a tad bit weird.  Honorable mentions include John Navarre and Vladimir Konstantinov

17 - Doug Brown:  I think this again sort of ties to the Pat Verbeek one.  The Red Wings were a staple of my childhood and Doug Brown was a key member of some of the great teams I watched.

18 - Kirk Maltby:  Having very recently retired, Maltby was too a staple of my sports watching for over 10 years.

19 - Steve Yzerman:  Much like Charles Woodson at number 2, this one is too easy and self explanatory.  Scott Mitchell doesn't have anything on Stevie Y.

With the next installment we will be taking on 20-29...

No comments:

Post a Comment