Tuesday, January 17, 2012

So... Why Don't They Have Hockey?

I was recently talking with my dad about how Marquette University (where my brother goes) doesn't have some big sports that, honestly, I would think that they should.  Obviously, funding a lot of different athletic programs costs a lot of money, and very few collegiate athletic departments run profitable programs.  As an alum (gosh that is weird to say) of the University of Michigan, I am spoiled and we have one of the greatest athletic departments in the country.  Anyway, if money was not a problem, I started thinking of colleges and universities that should definitely have D-1 hockey programs.  Here is a bit of a list...

-  Marquette:  The Bradley Center already has a hockey team play there.  What is one more team?
-  Indiana:  If Alabama-Huntsville can have a team, why can't they?  And they would be a solid addition to the new Big Ten Hockey Conference that begins play in the 2013-2014 season.
-  Illinois:  More or less the same as Indiana.  Plus, how cool would their jerseys be?  Orange and blue with the Chief Illiniwek logo on the front?  It'd be cool...
-  Northwestern:  See any other Big Ten school, plus the Chicago market?  It has to happen...
-  Iowa:  I've been there when it is cold.  I know that there are hockey fans.  Ready. Set. Go.
-  Syracuse:  Carrier Dome could easily fit a hockey rink.  They are a fairy large athletic department.  Considering the popularity of their lacrosse program, I would think that hockey would be successful. Plus they have a minor league team in Syracuse.  Obviously hockey is fairly popular.
-  Kentucky:  I just wanna see this on a regular basis... perhaps even on tv...
-  Eastern Michigan:  If Western Michigan and Northern Michigan can put together a team, why can't Eastern? It would automatically create another chapter of the Battle for Washtenaw County.  Convocation Center hockey?  I think so...
-  Central Michigan:  Sure. Why not?
-  Nebraska:  If Nebraska-Omaha can rock their UNO jerseys with pride in D-1, why can't Big Red have a squad?
-  Columbia:  Other Ivy League schools have teams.  They could play at MSG.  Perfect.
-  Utah:  If they can host the Winter Olympics, they can put together a D-1 Hockey team.
-  Colorado:  Denver has one... Colorado College has one... I want to see the Buffs.

These are just a few off the top of my head... any other suggestions?

-Kevin

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
    Timberland Women's Earthkeepers Mount Holly Tall Lace Duck Boot

    ReplyDelete