Monday, December 14, 2009

My Final Words

In today's society, being politically correct is very important. No one wants to frustrate anyone else. Or, worse yet, embarrass or offend someone else. I do think though that this is a very valid point. There is no place for racism anywhere in sport. I think the fact that there is still a professional football team named the "Redskins" is very much offensive and disappointing. Especially considering they reside in our nation's capital. And myself, being of Irish descent, do find the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo a bit offensive. I am not visually upset by it, but I would be lying if I said I was ok with it. I believe what the NCAA has done is correct and necessary. They have set the bar for other groups to change as well. I witnessed three local high schools within the past three years change their names and logos. My own baseball team while I was in middle school changed our main logo from "Chief Wahoo" to the "Script 'I'" that the Indians have (we were the Indians as well). People are more aware now and are making the correct decisions. I look forward to hearing what is decided on with the North Dakota case and I hope schools and professional teams in the future are more careful with what they decide to brand their team as. I do not care how "classic" a look is, or how much money it will cost to change. No person should have to look at a grinning cartoon version of their race and be told that it is not offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment