Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Athletes by the Number: 90 - 99

This is my FINAL installment of "Athletes by the Number".  I am excited to be done and start writing other stuff.  I know I could have been writing other stuff the entire time... but... I just wanted to finish.  Anywho... 90 - 99!

90 - Mike Modano:  During his brief stint with the Red Wings, the Michigan native wore number 90.  He wore the number 9 for his entire career with the North Stars/Stars organization.  But, becasue Mr. Hockey's number is retired in Detroit, Modano added a 0 to the 9 and got 90.  An honorable mention goes to Ndamukong Suh.  If it wasn't for Mike Modano's star power, I probably would have said him.

91 - Sergei Federov:  Much like Steve Yzerman, Cecil Fielder, Barry Sanders, Grant Hill, and Bobby Higginson, Federov was one of the sports-favorites of young Metro-Detroit fans in the 1990s.  Many a young Red Wings fans had his poster in their room or dreamed of flying up and down the ice like Federov.  On top of dating Anna Kournikova for a while, another fun fact about Federove is that he got out of the USSR by coming over to the United States to represent the USSR in the Goodwill Games and then never returned.

92 - Reggie White:  "The Minister of Defense" was posthumously enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006.  He played for the Philadelphia Eagles and the Green Bay Packers (and the Carolina Panthers for one year).  It has been said by many that he was the first "big-name" pro football free agent.  He was in 13 consecutive Pro Bowls from 1986 - 1998 and had 198 career NFL sacks.


93 - Johan Franzen:  The Mule.  He has become a clear leader of the Wings.  Franzen's red beard and grind it out mentality has helped him become a fan-favorite.

94 - Pat Massey:  Played football at Michigan.  His younger brother Mike played football at Michigan.  He is honestly the only guy I can think of who wore 94.  If I had some fun fact about him I would.  But I don't.  He was on the New York Giants roster in 2006 but never played.

95 - Richard Dent:  Dent spent the majority of his career with the Chicago Bears.  He also played for the 49ers, Colts, and Eagles.  His claim-to-fame is that he was an 8th round draft pick who ended up being one of the greatest players at his position (d-end).  He played in four Pro Bowls and was the MVP of Super Bowl XX.

96 - Tomas Holmstrom:  Probably the greatest goalie-screener to ever play hockey, Homer has won four Stanley Cups with the Red Wings and will certainly go down as one of the greats.

97 - Jeremy Roenick:  You either love him or you hate him.  Those who had him on their team loved him.  If he wasn't on your team, you hated him.  Roenick played for the Chicago Blackhawks, Phoenix Coyotes, Philadelphia Flyers, Los Angeles Kings, and San Jose Sharks.  Roenick was the third American hockey player to score 500 goals.  He retired in 2009 with 513 goals.

98 - Tony Siragusa:  I'm going with him because I can.  I guess he was good.  I just think he's hilarious.

99 - Wayne Gretzky:  Um... duh...

Well that is it folks.  It is done.  I did it.  0-99.  All numbers have been covered.  It was brutal, but it is done.  Thanks for checking it out and I'll get back to some normal writing soon here.  There is a lot to cover.  I didn't talk about March Madness.  I haven't talked about baseball being back.  There is a certain baseball team doing pretty well.  Anywho, I'll be back soon.  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment