Monday, March 12, 2012

Athletes by the Number: 60 - 69

Well, I figure I need to finish this list, don't I?  That being the case, here's 60 - 69...

60 - Otto Graham:  The man... the myth... the legend... and one of the few Cleveland Brown "greats."

61 - Rick Nash:  He hasn't won a Stanley Cup yet, but man, he is one heck of a player.  It is unfortunate that he has had to watch his career go down the pooper in Columbus.

62 - Joba Chamberlain: Pretty good pitcher with the Yankees.  To be honest, I can't really think of any other players that have worn 62.  I'm sure there are others... but... what can I do?

63 - Gene Upshaw:  I would certainly put him under the list as "one of the greats" for the Raiders.  He may not have played while I was alive, but I watch enough NFL Films to know.

64 - Randall McDaniel:  Only reason I really remember him as 64 would be one of my first football cards.  Other than that, let's be honest... unless you are a diehard Vikings fan, you wouldn't remember him...

65 - Phil Hughes:  Again, much like the Joba Chamberlain situation, I just can't particularly think of any other 65's.  I suppose these two Yankees come to mind mostly because of them being... well... Yankees.

66 - Mario Lemieux:  Arguably the third greatest hockey player ever?  Super Mario will always define Pittsburgh hockey.  I don't care how good Sidney Crosby is, Mario Lemieux was, is, and forever will be Penguins Hockey.

67 - Michael Frolik:  Can't think of too many other's wearing the 67.  But, from playing EA Sports' wonderful "NHL" series, I do know of Michael Frolik.

68 - Jaromir Jagr:  He was the jelly to Mario Lemieux's peanut butter in making the Pittsburgh Penguins into the back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions that they were.  Although he has been around the league a bit at this point, he will forever be a Pittsburgh Penguin to me.  An honorable mention goes out to Michigan's own Mike Martin.  Even through the rough "Rich Rod" years, Mike played as tough as he could. 

69 - Mark Schlereth:  Although he is loved by many in Denver, the former NFL lineman and now ESPN NFL analyst has become a bit of a Detroit sports figure with his son pitching for the Tigers. I'll never forget watching him stand up and sing "The Victors" when his son was pitching for the Arizona Wildcats against Michigan.  It would be easy to say that he got a bit caught up in the moment.

I will do my best to be a bit more current with these posts... I certainly want to finish this soon.  Hey, if you're lucky, maybe I'll even do another one before the end of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment